Property wrecking Japanese Knotwood

Posted: 18/9/2016


You've probably heard of it but do you know what it looks like? And how do you deal with it?

Japanese knotweed (Fallopia japonica) is a real thug as it spreads rapidly. In winter the plant dies back beneath ground but by early summer the bamboo-like stems shoot to over 2.1m (7ft), suppressing all other growth. Eradication requires steely determination as it is very hard to remove by hand or with chemicals. New legislation now covers its control:

In fact, it has an ASBO!

An amendment to the Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 includes Japanese knotweed and other invasive non-native plants. Here are some key points:


  • It is not illegal to have Japanese knotweed in your garden

  • On your property, you should aim to control this plant and other invasive non-native plants such as Himalayan balsamand giant hogweed, to prevent them becoming a problem in your neighbourhood. If they have a "detrimental effect of a persistant or continuing nature on the quality of life of those in the locality", the legislation could be used to enforce its control

  • Control can be carried out by the homeowner (see the control section below) and doesn't require a specialist company. However, a specialist company will be skilled at control and can dispose of the plant waste

  • Identification is important. Japanese knotweed can be confused with other plants including Persicaria microcephala(e.g. P. microcephala 'Red Dragon'), Leycesteria formosa and Houttuynia cordata

  • Where problems with Japanese knotweed occur in neighbouring gardens, we suggest that you speak or correspond directly with your neighbours (who may already be taking action to control this difficult weed). These informal steps should be taken before contacting your council to talk about control using the legislation


For more information, see the Home Office Information Note: Japanese knotweed and



Back to News

 Click here for a competitive quote for Landlords Insurance  property-ombudsman NI Tourism Certified Accommodation to Rent